Sunday, July 6, 2008

Mon soleil c’était toi, Je suis perdue

So, I was just watching "The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics", possibly my favourite animated short ever (what can I say, both of my parents worked in computer engineering as I was growing up, I was doomed from the start to fate of utter geekdom) and it truly hit me how unbelievably amazing that short is. Because, let me tell you, could I possibly be more in love with the line if I tried? His attitude, his gestures, everything he does? But wait! How is this possible, how can I have almost the same affection for the line as I do for Mr. Darcy? (The line, of course, lacks Fitzwilliam Darcy's caustic wit, but we cannot all be perfect.) Honestly though, how amazing is the animation in that short that, literally, every line dot and squiggle has personality? Of course a large part of the charm does come from Robert Morley's superb narration of a superb script. I also have come to believe that Chuck Jones had animation directing super-powers. I think he must have come in contact with a radio-active flipbook or something at some point in his career, it's the only logical explanation I have!

My point is, watch this short. Seriously. I love the anticipation at about 5.27, when the line makes his second angle. There's a real sense of strength, it baffles me. Also, the ending always makes all verklempt! I can't help it. I love the dots attitude, and how she realizes how useless the squiggle is. (Much like Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice as a matter of fact...hmmmm) Anyway, enjoy. :)



to finish, I'd like to share a story a heard involving Chuck Jones. Lord alone knows the veracity of the story, but I like to think it's true. So there's a man, who somehow knows Chuck Jones (I know, I'm great with stories *sighs*) Anyway, his son is a huge Bugs Bunny fan and introduces his son to Chuck Jones as "the man who draws Bugs Bunny." And his son, slightly bewildered by the introduction, replies "No, he draws pictures of Bugs Bunny." Wouldn't be amazing, to create a character so life-like, that a child doesn't believe you when you say you created him/her? I think it's a great goal to have whenever you create something.

xoxoxo

1 comment:

Dylan Durrant said...

Wow, it's been a while since I've seen that. Simple but beautiful.